Hawkesbury River Railway Bridges.

From Engineering Heritage New South Wales


The first railway crossing completed in 1889 by the Union Bridge Co., USA was the largest bridge project in colonial Australia and used American pin-jointed trusses on the deepest piers in the world.

It enabled the linking by rail of South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland, and was used by Sir Henry Parkes as a symbol in his campaign for federation of the Australian colonies.

Deterioration of the piers and load limitations led to its replacement. The new structure completed in 1946, was entirely the work of the Way and Works Branch, New South Wales Government Railways.

The opening train. 1 May 1889
In March 1946 the new bridge is nearly finished and for a period both bridges existed side by side.

Coordinates 33°32′2″S 151°13′42″E

Plaque and Interpretation panel
Loading map...

Engineering Heritage Recognition Program

Marker Type National Engineering Landmark (NEL)
Centenary of Federation “Plaquing” Program (CFPP)
Award Date 7 December 2001
Prominent People John Whitton, Samuel Ryland, Edwin Morse, Keith King, Albert Fewtrell, Keith Fraser
Nomination Document Available here
Ceremony Booklet Available here
Interpretation Panel As photograph adjacent

Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies.