Hume Dam, River Murray, 1938-

From Engineering Heritage New South Wales


The design of Hume Dam, which was the major work authorised by the River Murray Waters Act (1915), was directed by engineers E M de Burgh (NSW) and J S Dethridge (Vic).

The dam supplies irrigation, town and stock water to the Murray Valley, mitigates floods, generates power and enabled vastly expanded agricultural and food production.

When commissioned in 1938, it was one of the largest dams in the world. Its storage capacity was doubled to 3000 million cubic metres in 1961.

In its basic design and subsequent upgrading, Hume provides evidence of the development of dam technology in Australia. Work in the 1950s-60s involved a large number of post-war migrants, the relocation of Tallangatta township and the raising of Bethanga Bridge.


EHS Hume Dam Photograph 1.jpg

Coordinates 36°06′30″S 147°01′52″E

EHS Hume Dam Photograph 6.jpg
EHS Hume Dam Photograph 7.jpg

EHS Hume Dam Photograph 8.jpg
Loading map...

Engineering Heritage Recognition Program

Marker Type National Engineering Landmark (NEL)
Award Date 22 April 2005
Prominent People Hugh McKinney, Ernest Macartney de Burgh, J S Dethridge, G Stewart
Nomination Document Available here
Ceremony Booklet Not Available
Interpretation Panel Photo adjacent
Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies.