Munmorah Power Station, 1967-2018

From Engineering Heritage New South Wales


Munmorah was approved for construction in February 1961. Its first 350 Megawatt (MW) generating unit was synchronised in February 1967 and its last in October 1969. For three years, at 1400 MW, it was the Electricity Commission’s premier power station. Liddell assumed that role in December 1972 with the commissioning of its third 500 MW generating unit. Munmorah’s last operating generating unit (#3) was decommissioned in August 2110 after forty-one years of service to the people of New South Wales. In 2017, Munmorah is being demolished.

Station Layout As with the nearby Vales Point Power Station, Munmorah was orientated with its long axis running south-west to north-east. Aesthetically, the visible aspect of Munmorah is similar to the earlier Vales Point and later Liddell, Eraring, Bayswater and Mt Piper power stations. Munmorah’s turbine hall is 270 metres long and thirty-five metres wide. Two boiler structures each containing two 62-metre high boilers were to the immediate south-east of the turbine hall with two 155-metre tall chimney stacks further to the south east. Not including the ash disposal and associated coalmines the Munmorah site covered approximately 570 hectares.

Coal for Munmorah was initially supplied from two adjacent underground coal mines, Newvale #2 operated by Newstan Colliery Pty Ltd and Munmorah State Mine. Coal was delivered either directly into the station bunkers for immediate use, or to the coal storage area which held a total reserve of 762,035 tonnes, including 30,480 tonnes in Live Storage.

Munmorah Power Station1.png



Loading map...

Engineering Heritage Recognition Program

Marker Type Engineering Heritage Marker (EHM)
Award Date June 2018 (from EA website)
Prominent People
Nomination Document Available here
Ceremony Booklet MISSING
Interpretation Panel None installed.
Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies.