Ryde Pumping Station

From Engineering Heritage New South Wales


Ryde Water Pumping Stations No.1 and No.2 were created as part of the Upper Nepean Water Supply Scheme which developed from the late 1860s.

The scheme, largely in use today, was based on the gravitational supply of water from the Nepean, Cataract, Cordeaux and Avon Rivers to the Prospect Reservoir. From Prospect the water is channelled to Potts Hill Reservoirs from where it is distributed to different parts of Sydney.

In 1888, when the Water Board was constituted, a single 48in (c.1220mm) main led from Potts Hill to Sydney supplying Petersham and Crown Street reservoirs. This main was doubled in the following years and supplied most areas of Sydney including the Lower North Shore via a submarine 9in main under the harbour from Paddington reservoir. In 1891, a 24in main was added to supply the newly opened Ryde Water Pumping Station No. 1 which supplied the majority of the new suburbs being built to the north of the harbour. Another important main was also added around this time to supply the south suburbs of Sydney, then referred to as the Illawarra area. Several other branches were added in the early 1890s for direct supply of areas around Parramatta. The density of the pipeline network increased as the population of Sydney grew over the decades.

The Ryde branch remains one of the three most important geographical subsystems connected to Potts Hill Reservoir.



Ryde Pumpimng Station1.png

Ryde Pumpimng Station2.png
Ryde Pumpimng Station3.png


Loading map...

Engineering Heritage Recognition Program

Marker Type Engineering Heritage National Marker (EHNL)
Award Date 24 October 2017 (Plaquing Date)
Prominent People Sir Edward Orpen Moriarty, (illegible names on interpretation panel)
Nomination Document Available here
Interpretation Panel MISSING
Interpretation Panel MISSING?
Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies.