St Albans Bridge, Macdonald River, 1903-

From Engineering Heritage New South Wales


This bridge, built by John Ahearn & Son and opened on 27 June 1903, has two de Burgh type composite timber and steel trusses and a distinctive steel trestle, all designed by the eminent Public Works engineer E M de Burgh.

This type of road bridge was part of the design evolution (1861-1905) of the timber truss road bridge in NSW and was the first composite truss in the bridge program.

It was a significant technical advance over the preceding types. The bridge has the longest de Burgh truss spans, 36 metres, and is a local landmark.


St Albans Bridge1.png

St Albans Bridge2.png


Loading map...

Engineering Heritage Recognition Program

Marker Type Historic Engineering Marker (HEM)
Award Date 28 June 2003 (Plaquing Date)
Prominent People Sir Ernest Macartney de Burgh
Nomination Document Available here
Interpretation Panel MISSING
Interpretation Panel None installed.
Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies.