Swan Hill, River Murray Road Bridge, 1896-

From Engineering Heritage New South Wales


Designed by NSW Public Works engineer Percy Allan MICE and built by Messrs J Band W Farquharson of Melbourne, this lift-span bridge was opened in 1896. Built to cater for paddle steamers of the river trade, it was cheaper, more reliable and easier to operate than earlier lift bridges. It enhanced Swan Hill as a centre of river trade and rural commerce, contributing to the prosperity of the town and district of which it has become a symbol.



Swan Hill River Muuray Road Bridge1.png

Swan Hill River Muuray Road Bridge2.png
Swan Hill River Muuray Road Bridge3.png
Swan Hill River Muuray Road Bridge4.png
Loading map...

Engineering Heritage Recognition Program

Marker Type Historic Engineering Marker (HEM)
Award Date 1 May 2004 (Plaquing Date)
Prominent People Sir Percy Allan
Nomination Document Available here
Interpretation Panel MISSING
Interpretation Panel None installed.
Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies.