Tathra Wharf, 1862-

From Engineering Heritage New South Wales


Tathra is the only open sea timber wharf on Australia’s East Coast surviving from the coastal steamer trade era.

Critical to development of the far South Coast of NSW, the wharf dates from 1862. With its facilities it was progressively upgraded, remaining in service until 1954.

The wharf exhibits techniques in the design and maintenance of heavy timber marine structures of the NSW Public Works Department over the period. It is associated with eminent engineers E 0 Moriarty and E M de Burgh, and the builder Oakes & Oakes.


Tathra Wharf1.png

Tathra Wharf2.png
Tathra Wharf3.png


Loading map...

Engineering Heritage Recognition Program

Marker Type National Engineering Landmark (NEL)
Award Date 19 January 2008 (Plaquing Date)
Prominent People Sir Edward Orpen Moriarty, Sir Edward Macartney de Burgh, Sir Thomas Keele, Sir Harvey H Dare, Dr John Job Crew Bradfield, Oakes & Oakes
Nomination Document Available here
Ceremony Booklet Available here
Interpretation Panel None installed.
Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies.